The mission of the Sutton Museum of Communications and History

The Sutton Museum of Communications and History is dedicated to disseminating the socio-economic, cultural and industrial history of the Brome-Missisquoi region. To its mission, it organizes thematic temporary exhibitions exhibitions, while preserving and interpreting a permanent collection and interpretation of a permanent collection of technical and ethnological and ethnological objects dating, for the most part, from the first half of the 20th century. The establishment also carries out research aimed at identifying and the intangible heritage of the people of Sutton and its of the people of Sutton and the surrounding area.

Musée intérieur

History of the Museum buildings and the À la Fontaine restaurant

À la fontaine

30 and 32, Principale Street South built in 1895 or 1896

30 and 32, Principale Sud Street, built in 1895 or 1896. This site, granted to William Huntingdon in 1802, was sold to Elijah Billings in 1806. The point formed by Principale and Mountain streets remained in the Billings family until it was sold to Adolphus Greely in 1885. It remained free of buildings until 1894. The present buildings were constructed in 1895 or 1896. In 1920, the property passed from the Greelys to the Curleys, who used it as a residence. Edmund Ebert bought it in 1962. He lived there for a time, then converted it into an inn. In 1984, he founded the Museum in the former stables.


The Inn

The former inn is an excellent example of the Second Empire style, with its monumental entrance, an open porch with twin columns, and the nasturtium dormers that enliven the four-sloped roof. Two carriage doors once gave access to the stables covered in both brick and wood cladding. wood. Thanks to Jeanne Morazain of Héritage Sutton for these details.

À la fontaine

Board of Directors

The Museum's Board of Directors is made up of volunteers who oversee its administration, fundraising, exhibition organization and collaboration with other cultural organizations.

membres du conseil

Standing from left to right: Pierre Surprenant, Richard Leclerc, Michèle Moisan, Sylvie Boulanger, Charles Constantin, Nicole Beaudry, Michel Harnois (absent from the photo Peter Stastny)

  • Charles Constantin


  • Nicole Beaudry


  • Pierre Surprenant


  • Sylvie Boulanger


  • Richard Leclerc


  • Michèle Moisan


  • Peter Stastny


  • Michel Harnois

    Museum Coordinator

This year, the Sutton Museum will be open daily from noon to 5pm, from June 16 to October 14, 2024 and will present the thematic exhibition
Disaster! Are You Ready?

© 2024 Musée des communications et d'histoire de Sutton

Logo de la compagnie Jules, une agence digital qui développe des sites web, offre du graphisme et des services de community management dans les Cantons de l'Est, établis à Sutton, QC.

Privacy Policy